Leaving the scene of an accident is a criminal offense in all 50 states. It’s also referred to as a “hit and run” or “hit and flee.” This is when a driver involved in an accident leaves the scene without providing identification or rendering aid to any injured parties. There are many reasons why someone might choose to flee the scene of an accident. Maybe they were driving drunk and panicked. Maybe they had just committed a felony and didn’t want to get caught. Or maybe they simply didn’t think the accident was serious enough to warrant sticking around.

Whatever the reason, hit and runs are incredibly dangerous. Not only do you put yourself at risk by fleeing, but you also put other drivers on the road in danger. And if you cause an accident and then leave the scene, you could be charged with felony hit and run. If you’ve been injured in a hit and run, it’s important to contact a lawyer right away. Our law firm can help you understand your rights and guide you through the legal process.

What Happens When You Leave the Scene of an Indiana Accident?

Leaving the scene of an accident is a serious offense in Indiana. If you are involved in an accident, you are required by law to stop your vehicle and exchange information with the other driver. If you fail to do so, you could be charged with up to a felony.

The penalties for leaving the scene of an accident depend on the severity of the accident. If someone was injured or killed in the accident, the consequences could include serious jail time and expensive fines. If the accident only caused property damage, you could face up to one year in prison and thousands of dollars in fines. The best thing to do after being involved in an accident is to stay at the scene and cooperate with the police.

What Should I Do If Someone Flees After an Accident?

No one ever wants to be in an accident. But unfortunately, accidents happen all the time. And sometimes, the other driver involved will try to flee the scene. If you’re ever in this situation, it’s important to know what to do. Taking the right steps can help you catch the hit-and-run driver and get compensation for your damages.

Here’s what you should do if someone flees after an accident:

  1. Try to get the license plate number of the other car. If you can’t get the whole number, get as much as you can. Even partial information can be helpful.
  2. Call the police right away and report the hit-and-run. The police will create a report and may be able to help you find the other driver.
  3. Tell your insurance company about the accident. Your insurance company may have a hit-and-run clause in your policy that will cover some of your damages.
  4. See a doctor as soon as possible. Even if you don’t think you’re injured, it’s important to get checked out by a medical professional. Some injuries, like whiplash, might not show up right away.
  5. Contact a personal injury attorney. An experienced attorney can help you navigate the claims process and get the compensation you deserve.

When Should I Contact a Personal Injury Lawyer?

You should seek medical attention if you’ve been injured in a car crash. Even if your injuries seem minor, it’s important to have them evaluated by a medical professional. Once you’ve been seen by a doctor or other medical provider, you can then start thinking about contacting a personal injury lawyer. Contact our law firm today at 219-400-2200 for a consultation with our team.